Photograph, Thornbury Railway; Unknown Photographer; 1900-1910
Photograph, Thornbury RailwayAbout this object
This is a photograph of the platform at the Thornbury Railway Station estimated to have been taken around the beginning of the 20th-century.
Built in 1876, the Thornbury Railway Station was a junction in the lines to Invercargill, Tuatapere via Riverton and Wairio via Otautau, with the line beyond Wairio being a private operation.
Prior to the establishment of Thornbury as a junction in the line, the main settlement in the area was at Flint's Bush where Captain John Howell lived on his estate Eastbourne Park. At this time, rail was the main means of transport and the junction meant that people from all directions could easily travel to Thornbury. This new convenience of location resulted in the township springing up with a number of small businesses being established, including a boot maker, saddler, grocer and blacksmith etc. The flow on effect of this was a substantial increase in population.
1900-1910Inscription and Marks
'McKersch Photo' embossed on front of mount. 'Foster Family' Handwritten in blue ink on reverse of mount.Measurements
h 257 mm x w 180 mmPeriod
organic, processed material, vegetal, paper, photographic paper
organic, processed material, vegetal, paper, card
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.