Bell, Church; Unknown Maker; 1880-1890
Bell, ChurchAbout this object
This is the church bell from Thornbury's St Leonards Anglican Church. The first bell to be used in the original St Leonards was a length of railway iron suspended from the belfry which was struck with a blacksmiths hammer. This was later replaced by Mr Instone's gift of a ship's bell from the Empress which was wrecked at Riverton in 1877. From then onward, the ships bell remained the only bell used in the church including when a new St Leonards was consecrated on October 21st, 1979.
In 2002, St Leonards was sold and has since become a private residence. Upon the churches closer, the parish donated a number of items from St Leonards to the Thornbury Vintage Tractor Club including the bell.
inorganic, processed material, metal, metal alloys, copper alloys, bell metalMeasurements
h 580 mm x w 400 mm x d 400 mmSubject and Association Keywords
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.