Tractor, Avery Model 1225; Avery; 1914

Name/Title

Tractor, Avery Model 1225

About this object

This is an Avery Tractor from around 1914. It was imported by J.G. Williamson in the early 20th-century and was used for driving a mill at Athol in North Southland.

Jack McKenzie, founding member of the Thornbury Vintage Machinery Club, discovered the Avery while on a family holiday to Queenstown in the 1950s. Jack stopped for a comfort break at Athol and while finding a private spot on the side of road he discovered the Avery among the bushes. Jack discovered the owners were the Soper Family, who later donated the tractor to the Club. Velsey Wilson and Jack McKenzie restored the tractor.

This Avery is significant in New Zealand as a vehicle which marked the beginning of the transition from the traction engine to the tractor which revolutionised farming in New Zealand.

Maker

Avery

Maker Role

Manufacturer

Date Made

1914

Period

1910s

Place Made

North and Central America, United States, Illinois, Tazewell County, Peoria

Medium and Materials

inorganic, processed material, metal, cast iron
inorganic, processed material, metal, wrought iron
organic, processed material, vegetal, wood
inorganic, processed material, metal, copper
inorganic, processed material, ceramics
organic, processed material, pigment

Measurements

h 2640 mm x w 2100 mm x l 4300 mm

Subject and Association Keywords

Agriculture

Object Type

occupation-based equipment

Copyright Licence  

All rights reserved

This object is from
Tags
1910s
Agriculture

Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.

Share