Religion, Church Bell; unknown maker; 1860?; RX.1977.7
Religion, Church BellAbout this object
Henry and Sophia Toms imported this bell to hang in the belfry of the Coal Creek Methodist Church, built in 1869 on the condition that the belfry was to be completed. As it was not it remained on their property in Coal Creek Flat under the stewardship of a real character, Sophias bachelor brother, Dick Toms. Dick would ring the bell every morning at 7am but would occasionally confuse people by ringing it 6 or even 8am.
Upon the night of his death on the 30th October 1967 the bell disappeared and his Great Nephew, Alan Michelle, inherited the property. The bell resurfaced in 1977 as a donation to the Teviot Museum, only to be uplifted 2nd March 1989.
On the wishes of the death of Joan Michelle on 28th June 2014 the bell was once again returned to the museum where it is proudly on display today.
processed material, metal, ironInscription and Marks
l 450mm x w 500mm x d 410mm
wt (not possible to weigh or approximate weight due to location)
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.