Battery, Le Clanche Battery Cell; Le Clanche, Georges; 1870-1950; Unknown
Battery, Le Clanche Battery CellAbout this object
This is a Le Clanche Battery Cell. Developed by French engineer, Georges le Clanche in 1866, the battery comprises of a specially shaped glass jar, a porous earthware pot containing a carbon electrode surrounded by a mixture of rushed carbon, manganese dioxide and a zinc rod. The jar is normally 3/4 filled with a solution of ammonium chloride and water. This style of battery was inexpensive and was used extensively in the early/mid-20th century for bells and telephones. This wet style battery was gradually replaced by the dry cell battery.Maker
h 165 mm x w 90 mm x d 90 mmSubject and Association Keywords
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.