1962 BMW R69S; BMW; 1962; CMM173
1962 BMW R69SAbout this object
The BMW R69 launched in 1955 was state of the art with Earles front forks and swinging arm rear suspension that provided suspension travel that was truly remarkable at the time, providing excellent ride quality and handling. In 1960, the R69S was introduced with the 594cc ‘boxer’ engine upgraded with a higher compression ratio, new carburettors and a harmonic balancer on the front of the crankshaft that enabled it to produce 42hp at 7,000rpm. Those modifications provided an increase of 10kph (6mph) top speed over that of the R69 to 175kph (109mph).
This example was restored during 2007 and 2008 by Ulrich Huemmerich, a BMW-trained mechanic, and Tim Stafford Restorations of San Diego, California. The motor and transmission were rebuilt with the crankshaft reground, new con rods and main bearings, new pistons and new valves, valve guides and seals. The wheel hubs were fitted with new bearings and reshimmed. It was acquired by Nelson’s NZ Classic Motorcycles collection via a US auction house in December, 2009. It was acquired by Transport World for the Classic Motorcycle Mecca collection in May, 2016.