1959 BMW R26 ; BMW; 1959; CMM238
1959 BMW R26About this object
The single-cylinder R26 was introduced in 1955 and shared the same chassis developments of Earles front forks and swinging arm rear suspension that made the R50 and R69 twins introduced in the same year such a success. The suspension movement was sensational compared to previous technology and the level of ride confort afforded was a revelation to riders. The performance of the 250cc engine was improved compared to that of the R25 with a further increase in compression ration and a larger carburettor diameter so that peak output was 15hp and top speed was outstanding for the period at 128kph (80mph).
More than 30,000 examples of the R26 were sold during the five years it featured in the BMW catalogue until the R27 superseded it in 1960. This example was imported in 1995 from Portugal to the UK where it was first registered in 1997. A second UK owner acquired it in 2005 through BMW specialist, Mike Coombes. It was acquired for the Nelson NZ Classic Motorcycles collection at an auction in Staffordshire in April, 2009. It was then acquired by Transport World for the Classic Motorcycle Mecca collection in May 2016.