1954 BMW R67/2; BMW; 1954; CMM121
1954 BMW R67/2About this object
By 1951, BMW had re-established a model range that included small-capacity singles and boxer twins of 500cc and 600cc. That year, the R67 was introduced as a budget model capable of being used as a sidecar mount. Its 594cc overhead-valve boxer engine developed 26hp and it shared its frame with the R51/3 and the high-performance R68 that was launched the following year. Twin leading show front brakes were introduced in 1952 and in 1953 the front forks were improved with two-way dampening. Engine output was increased to 28hp when the R67/2 was introduced in 1953 with a revised engine that featured a new intake system, valve-train and cylinder heads and which included the magneto and oil pump mounted within the engine case.
This example was manufactured in May 1953 and delivered to Victoria, Australia, in January 1954. It was purchased as a ‘basket case’ and completely rebuilt in 1995 in Melbourne by the third owner, who had acquired it from the son-in-law of the original owner. It was purchased and taken to Connecticut, USA, in November 2000. Another US owner acquired it in February, 2002, and it bent an exhaust valve when he was riding it in 2003. That prompted another rebuild that included fitting new piston rings, reconditioning the cylinder heads, replacing all the valve gear, reconditioning the carburettors and replacing all nuts, bolts and screws with stainless steel items. It was acquired for the Nelson NZ Classic Motorcycles collection in June 2008. It was then acquired by Transport World for the Classic Motorcycle Mecca collection in May 2016.