Tall fluted clear glass bottle; Champion & Co; Unknown; CR2007.043

Name/Title

Tall fluted clear glass bottle

About this object

Tall fluted clear glass bottle. The words "Champions Vinegar Reg'd NO 1759" are embossed down side, with an embossed figure of a man on a horse and the words "Trade Mark' underneath. Champion & Co, vinegar brewers of London, was established in 1705. In an age before refrigeration, vinegar was a much more important commodity than it is today, due to its preservative effect on foodstuffs. The bottle was found at Halfway House in the Cromwell Gorge and had obviously been re-purposed for use and filled with methylated spirits as shown by attached sticky label for "red funnel brand, strongest methylated spirits, 1 pint 4 oz." from "Neil Manfg Co. Ltd., Moray Place, Dunedin"

Maker

Champion & Co

Maker Role

Manufacturer

Date Made

Unknown

Place Made

United Kingdom, England, London

Medium and Materials

Glass
Cork

Inscription and Marks

"Champions Vinegar Reg'd NO 1759" are embossed down side, with an embossed figure of a man on a horse and the words "Trade Mark' underneath.
as shown by attached sticky label for "red funnel brand, strongest methylated spirits, 1 pint 4 oz." from "Neil Manfg Co. Ltd., Moray Place, Dunedin"

Measurements

Dia 72mm x H 37mm

Subject and Association Keywords

Bottle

Subject and Association Keywords

Food container

Subject and Association Keywords

Hotels

Credit Line

From the Collection of the Cromwell Museum

Object Type

Bottle

Object number

CR2007.043

Copyright Licence  

All rights reserved

This object is from
Share