Gold scales; W & T Avery, Birmingham; Unknown; CR1977.813
Gold scalesAbout this object
Gold scales and weights off the Lady Ranfurly dredge. It was used by William Parcell at the foot of the Bullock Track, Bannockburn. William Parcell owned Halfway House (1866) a boarding house, hotel and store in the Happy Valley on the road to the Nevis.
The scales are inset in a wooden stand with a drawer used for holding the weights. It has a brass upright, beam and a lever operated lift. The brass trays have three metal chains attaching them to the beam. On the lever and the beam the maker's name is engraved - W& T Avery Ltd, Makers, Birmingham.
The drawer has a wooden holder with ten compartments in ascending sizes holding the ten brass cylindrical weights ranging from one ounce to 30 ounces. Five of the weights have lead spots on the base.
Also included in this donation:
Five cylindrical brass metal weights of 1, 2, 3, 5 and 10 ounces all with lead spots on base.
Set of small weights - 6 and 4 DWTS engraved with NZ GR W&T Avery
Collection of small flat brass weights - Grains 6, 6, 6, 5, 5,
A round glass mercury bottle.
Round metal tobacco tin used to store some of the weights. It has the words "RIVERHEAD GOLD TOBACCO" in brown across the top. A picture of a lady wearing a brimmed hat with a blue band surrounded by gold tobacco leaves in the middle and across the bottom in red writing script "It's toasted".
Horseshoe magnet and a rectangular piece of metal belong to this set.
See parts descriptionsMeasurements
H 870 mm x L 605 mm x W 315 mmSubject and Association Keywords
From the Collection of the Cromwell MuseumObject Type