Photograph [J and J Galt, Wheelwrights and Blacksmiths, Mataura].; Mora Studio, ...
Photograph [J and J Galt, Wheelwrights and Blacksmiths, Mataura].About this object
Black and white photograph of J & J Galt, Wheelwrights and Blacksmiths, Mataura with wheels and bases for a wagon for export to South America.
Two brothers, James and John Galt set up this engineering business in 1892. James served his apprenticeship at Gardiner's Foundry, before going into competition with them. Listed as 'General Blacksmiths, Implement Makers and Coach Builders' the firm took in the block from the J & J Galt Building in Bridge Street to the Garage in River Street (which was originally the foundry). They made all kinds of agricultural implements, a special line being drain ploughs which were sent all over the country. A number of wagons specially ordered were built and sent to South America.
James Galt left in 1900 to work for Southland Engineering Co. John Galt continued with the business and served six years on the Mataura Borough Council and was Mayor from 1906 to 1909. Disaster struck in 1908 when the two storied wooden building burnt down. The replacement brick building still stands. There was a change when business resumed after the fire; the Galt's sold hardware on the ground floor and furniture upstairs. The new business eventually got into financial difficulty and closed a few years later. John Galt then shifted to Invercargill before buying a farm at Hokonui.
1896-1908Inscription and Marks
Taped on label on reverse reads: 'J & J Galt/Wheelwrights & Blacksmiths.
Handwritten on reverse top left corner: 'C.M.TERRY (MRS.W.BRISTOW)/Left to right: 1.(blank)/2.(blank)/3(blank)/4.(blank)/5.Jack Galt/6.(blank)/7.(blank)/8.(blank)/9.(blank)'.
First white sticker reads: 'B21-24'.
Second white sticker reads: '96'.
h 250mm x w 305mm
photograph, black and whiteObject Type
processed material, paperCredit Line
From the collection of the Mataura and Districts Historical Society Incorporated.Object number