Photograph [McKechnie & Thomson, Butchers & Bakers, Mataura] ; King, E (Mr); 188...
Photograph [McKechnie & Thomson, Butchers & Bakers, Mataura]About this object
Undated black and white photograph of McKechnie & Thomson, Butchers & Bakers, Mataura c.1886-1893. This business operated on Main Street (now Henry's building). The men in the image are (from left to right): unknown person on horse/ Irwin, W.J /Thompson, J/McKechnie, James/ McCubbin, John (baker). There are great details in the image; two sheep carcasses are hanging in the left window, a large wolf hound is about to enter the shop! Boxes of Wonder Soap are displayed in the door way and Cadbury's Cocoa and Chocolate are advertised in the right window. The horseman has a large wicker basket presumedly for his groceries.
The 1905 Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Otago & Southland Provincial Districts] outlines the history of this business. It was founded in 1874 by Messrs McKechnie and Balneaves; five years later the firm became McKechnie and Thomson, and Mr Thomson afterwards conducted the business solely on his own account for a number of years. Prior to 1903, when Messrs McCubbin and Cameron bought the business, it had been carried on for five years by Mr W. J. Irwin. The premises consist of a wood and iron double-fronted shop, which has the butchery, the bakery and a grocery department, with an office. There is also a substantial stone building, which is utilised as a produce store. The firm employs four carts in the delivery of goods throughout the district.
1886-1893Inscription and Marks
Handwritten in blue ink on top of image mount: 'W.J Irwin/ J. Thompson/McKechnie/J.McCubbin, Baker'.
Printed on reverse: ' E King/Portrait & Landscape/Photographer'.
Handwritten in pencil on reverse:'Holloway'.
h 107mm x w 165mm
photograph, black and whiteObject Type
processed material, paperCredit Line
From the collection of the Mataura and Districts Historical Society Incorporated.Object number