Postcard [Suspension Bridge at Mataura]; Muir & Moodie; c.1905; MT2011.185.93
Postcard [Suspension Bridge at Mataura]About this object
Undated black and white postcard of the Mataura suspension bridge (from Muir and Moodie's Series of Views). This bridge opened in August 1868, a footbridge was added in 1898. The bridge served the town until July 1939 when it was replaced by the present concrete arch-span bridge.
For generations of Mataura children, crossing the bridge was an adventure. It was sensitive to every movement and it was possible to make the whole structure move by jumping up and down in the middle of it. In the 1930s, a local lad capitalised on this feature. Rob Hardy would wait for a while until the drovers 'had a go' at getting their sheep across and then arrive with his decoy sheep. By then the exasperated men were only too willing to avail themselves of Rob Hardy's services.
c.1905Medium and Materials
processed material, paperInscription and Marks
Printed on front below image:
'827 P. MATAURA. THE BRIDGE. Muir & Moodie'
Printed on reverse:
'New Zealand Post-Card/One Penny/Phototyped in Austria/Issued by MUIR & MOODIE Dunedin N.Z. /from their Copyright Series of Views.'
handwritten on a piece of paper taped to the reverse: 'M.C.Dickie/1A Dorset St'.
h 90mm x 140mmSubject and Association Keywords
From the collection of the Mataura and Districts Historical Society Incorporated.Object Type