Photograph: Interior, Mataura Molactrate Factory; Hazeldines Studio (Invercargil...
Photograph: Interior, Mataura Molactrate FactoryAbout this object
Photograph; interior of the Molactrate factory in Dorset Street, Mataura showing Colin Reid checking a completed block of stock food.
The factory produced a variety of stock foods from 1951 to 2006. The building was formerly the Sugar of Milk factory which started in 1929, but lactose production moved to Edendale in 1950. The factory is situated just south of the former Mataura Dairy Factory and is now a scrap metal depot. The original coal powered machinery served the Molactrate factory till its closure.
Further background information can be found in our Industries folder No.1, and pages 180-181, 'Mataura City of the Falls'.
photograph, black and whiteDate Made
1950sMedium and Materials
processed material, paperInscription and Marks
on reverse 'HAZELDINE'S STUDIO. LTD. / PHOTOGRAPHERS / 40 Esk Street. P.O. Box 365 / INVERCARGILL'Technique
h 213mm x w 160mm
From the collection of the Mataura and Districts Historical Society Incorporated.Object Type