Bottle, Quilter's Cordial; Australian Glass Manufacturers; 1938; MT2012.84.3
Bottle, Quilter's CordialAbout this object
Bottle; a clear glass bottle used by T. F. Quilter of Mataura for bottling cordial.
Thomas Francis Quilter established Quilters Cordial Factory in Mataura in c.1907 Thomas was born in Waitahuna and his first career was as a gold miner. He prospected at Waipori where he took out a patent for a hydraulic dredge. Thomas came to Mataura in the early 1900s after losing an arm while working the dredge. He opened a fruit and confectionery shop for a few years before extending the business to include the manufacture of cordials which were sold throughout Southland. The bottles were specially made for the business and bear its name. They are now collectors' items.
Thomas died in 1935 leaving a widow, 2 daughters and 5 sons. A son John Philip continued the business until 1940 when he enlisted to serve in World War Two. Another son James managed the business until 1946 when the business wound up due to war time rationing of sugar.
processed material, glassInscription and Marks
Embossed within a roundel on the front of the bottle: 'T.F. QUILTER /CORDIAL MAKER / MATAURA' On front bottom edge, 'THIS BOTTLE IS THE PROPERTY OF T.F. QUILTER MATAURA 1938'. On the base 'A.G.M / NZ'Measurements
h 222mm x dia 60mm
From the collection of the Mataura and Districts Historical Society Incorporated.Object Type