Pare, door lintel ; Devonshire, Charles; 1938; MT2012.82.2
Pare, door lintelAbout this object
Pare; (door lintel) from the former whare 'Te Wairua' at the Tuturau reserve. In 1937 a group of Mataura locals built a monument and whare at Tuturau to mark the centennial of Te Pūoho’s raid, the decisive event of which occurred in Tuturau in December 1836. The centennial celebrations were delayed a year due to a polio outbreak.
The NZ History website tells the story of this Musket Wars raid. Over 3,000 people attended the opening of the monument and whare. A feature article detailing the Centennial committee's work and the opening of the monument appears in the Mataura Ensign dated 6 December 1937.
The pare was carved by Charles Devonshire, a pakeha from Kirwee in Canterbury, who had an interest in the Tuturau reserve. The Hesselin family of Tuturau rescued the pare from vandals and later donated it to us.
organic, vegetal, wood
White label reads 'carving from above the door /of Maori Whare which was at / the Tuturau Reserve / Carved by C.W. Devonshire'Measurements
h 300mm x l 1184mm x d 25mm
From the collection of the Mataura and Districts Historical Society IncorporatedObject Type