Medical syringe; Maw S. and Sons Ltd (London); 1930-1940; MT2012.39.3
Medical syringeAbout this object
Hypodermic syringe, in a tin box, as used in medical practice by a local doctor, Dr Irene Woodhouse who was a G.P in Mataura from 1919 to 1967. Over these 48 years, Dr Woodhouse was heavily involved professionally and personally in Mataura's community life. She founded Girl Guides in Mataura, was a foundation member of the Mataura branches of the Red Cross, the St John Ambulance Brigade and the Barnado's Helpers League.
As a G.P she was on call 24 hours a day. Night calls were common, as were country visits. Her fees were tailored to what patients could afford; the great majority paid up - it was good insurance in case there was a 'next time'. Doctor Woodhouse was awarded the Coronation Medal for Public Services in 1953 and retired without fanfare to Wellington where she died in 1970.
For more detail you might like to look up an in-depth article in our Collection on Dr Woodhouse's career written by the historian Trevor Landers.
Processed material, metal, steel
processed material, glass
l 85mm x w 40mm
From the collection of the Mataura and Districts Historical Society Incorporated.Object Type