James Gear; 2008.038.01

Name/Title

James Gear

About this object

James Gear came to New Zealand in 1861 to seek his fortune in the Gabriel's Gully gold rush. Within 18 months he was in Wellington extablishing a butcher's shop on Lambton Quay. Two years later he went into partnership with Mr Ben Ling at another shop on the Quay. By 1873 James Gear had built a new shop and had established a preserving factory. Nine years later the "Gear Meat Preserving and Freezing Company of New Zealand" was formed. In partnership with Ling's widow, Isabella, James Gear began acquiring large land holdings in the Te Horo area from 1881.

James married Ruth Milstead in 1879, there were four children James Ernest, Phillip, Gladys and Doris Evelyn (Eva). James died on 5 April 1911 aged 75, he is buried at Porirua Cemetary.

Reference OHS Journal Vol. 8 Pages 52-53.

Object number

2008.038.01

Copyright Licence  

All rights reserved

This object is from
Tags
Butcher
Porirua
Te Horo

Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.

Share