Photograph, First Otautau Fire Truck; Gutsell, Peter; 1950; OT.2018.10.1
Photograph, First Otautau Fire TruckAbout this object
This is a photograph of Otautau's first Fire Truck, a Ford V8 1948.
Previously owned by the Invercargill Brigade, this fire engine was purchased in 1954 and capable of doing 100kmh on the open road.
Although formed and operational some years earlier in 1946, the Otautau Fire Service was only constituted as a Volunteer Brigade under the Fire Services Act on 19th April 1950. The brigade comprised of Superintendent J.A.R. Walker, Deputy Sam Bain, three firemen, 15 members and two messengers.
1950Inscription and Marks
Handwritten in pen on back: 'P Gutsell 1948 V/8 Fire Appliance X Invercargill 2018.10.1'.Measurements
h 155 mm x w 255 mmPeriod
organic, vegetal, processed material, paper, photographic paper