Photograph, Sheedy's Shoeing Forge; P Collins Photo; 1912-1915; OT.2010.73
Photograph, Sheedy's Shoeing ForgeAbout this object
This is a photograph of Sheedy's Shoeing Forge and General Blacksmiths.
Pat Sheedy the Inventor:
Pat Sheedy established his forge at Heddon's Bush at the beginning of the 20th-century. From his shop Pat created a number of inventions to help local farmers. In 1908, he invented a turnip processing machine which topped and sliced the root crop. It was able to process a whole cartload of turnips in just 4 minutes! He had great success with this invention as in 1909 he was on the lookout for a new location for his forge. In 1910, Pat came up with the 'Dreadnought' double drill sacrificer. The 'Dreadnought' was also a hit, with Pat advertising for more staff in 1911.
In 1912, Pat shifted his workshop to its largest location near Otautau. At this time, Otautau was the central hub for agriculture in Central Western Southland. In 1924, Pat's oldest son, William, took over the business.
1912-1915Inscription and Marks
On sticker on front of mount: 'FRONT. LAST HORSE USED ON MAIL RUN. BY MR LYNCH BEFORE CHANGING TO MOTOR 10 (6) SHEDDY/LYNCH.'
Handwritten on back of mount: 'PRESENTED TO O.D.H.S. BY W. SHEEDY 20/1/80 10 B 5/5 2010.73'
h 205 mm x w 260 mmPeriod
organic, vegetal, processed material, paper, photographic paper
organic, vegetal, processed material, paper, card