Photograph, First Otautau School; Cameron Photo; 1880; OT.2007.7.1
Photograph, First Otautau SchoolAbout this object
This is the first photograph taken at Otautau School, it is dated 1880. The school was located on Queen Street and was built in 1879.
The school opened on January 26, 1880 with a roll of 42 pupils (32 of whom are in this photograph), with the first Principal being Mr Vincent who is also photographed.
The school remained on this site for 74 years before shifting to the current site in September of 1954, from which it still operates in 2018. The original school building in the photograph was taken over in 1957 and opened as St Michael's Catholic School. St Michael's closed in 1976.
Who is in the photograph? The following notes accompanied this photo:
Back Row L-R: Miss Bladier (sister of Mr Vincent), Mrs Vincent (sewing teacher), Mr Vincent H.M.
Second Row L-R: Thomas Lynch, Jessie Wilson (Mrs Gilchrist) Annie McIvor (Mrs McArthur), Maggie Clifford (Mrs P Clifford), Sarah McIntosh, Jessie Paton, Lily Quested, Agnes Walker (Mrs T J Walker) Annie Rout, Mary Glynn (Mrs O'Keefe), George Price, John Alley, Joseph Beck, Jim McIntosh, John McIvor, Harry Rout, Thomas Glynn, Donald Campbell, Duncan McIvor, Benjamin Walker, William Glynn, James Quested
Front Row L-R: Rebecca Campbell, Martha Newsome (mistakenly listed on the original photo notes as Mrs Swap, however Martha Newsome was actually Mrs Robertson & Martha Swap never married), Kate Glynn, R J Campbell, Allan Campbell, Donald McIntosh, Thomas Quested, William Walker, William Wilson, Alex McIvor, ?, David Lynch
1880Inscription and Marks
On front at bottom of mount in blue pen: 'Headmaster Mr Vincent 1880'
Names are also written on the back, see public description for these.
h 211 mm x w 255 mmPeriod
organic, vegetal, processed material, paper, photographic paper
organic, vegetal, processed material, paper, card
Shaw CollectionObject number