Lantern, Ship's; Holder and Stroud; 1944; WW.1975.346
Lantern, Ship'sAbout this object
This brass ship's lantern was found on the site of the old Ashmore home at Waikawa but nothing more is known about its background. It was designed to be mounted to a bulkhead on board ship as general lighting but to also be portable.
The lantern is stamped as being made by Holder and Stroud of Sydney but the design is typical of lanterns produced in England by both Bulpitt & Sons and Alderson Gyde Ltd of Birmingham from the early to the mid twentieth century. This and the English lanterns share the following features: brass construction, three glass panels, a reflective white enamel back panel and a kerosene reservoir.
inorganic, processed materials, metals, metal alloys, copper alloys, brass.
inorganic, processed materials, metal, iron
inorganic, processed materials, glass.
organic, processed materials, vegetal, wood.
Stamped on front lid clasp; '1944 J^M and HOLDER STROUD and SYDNEY'.
'HOLDER STROUD SYDNEY' is also stamped on the wall mount on the back face.
h 420 mm x w 220 mm x d 150 mmSubject and Association Keywords
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.