Marriage & Burial Registers; All Saints Anglican Church, Kareponia.; 1997-1998; ...
Marriage & Burial Registers; All Saints Anglican Church, Kareponia.About this object
Red folder photocopy of Marriages, Kareponia 1887-1955
Red folder photocopy of Burial Kareponia 1886-1996
Loose papers of miscellaneous activities at Kareponia Church and the Awanui Church.
From 1862, church services were periodically conducted at Kareponia by Kaitaia missionary, William Gilbert Puckey. The first church, All Saints Anglican Church, was opened on the 4 August 1874 by the Reverend Tangata and rebuilt in 1927 by Arthur Wells and his father Jack. It was consecrated by the Rev. Cannon Wiremu Keretene, representing the Arch Bishop of New Zealand on the 28th October 1930.
In 1959 the building was destroyed by a hurricane. Harold Thomas (and others) constructed a new church, which was dedicated by Bishop Eric Gowing in 1963. All Saints celebrated its' Centenary over Labour Weekend in 1974.
On the 13 October 1991 the Rev. Urquhart held a final service, Rev. Harold Petera celebrated the final Holy Communication and Rev Ester Mani, the final Baptisms in the old church building. The new All Saints Anglican Church was opened at Kareponia on 24 April 1992.
Te Ahu Heritage MuseumObject number
2004.46.402 to 404Copyright Licence
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.