Letter books, Mangonui County Council 1907-1915; Mangonui County Council; 1907-1...
Letter books, Mangonui County Council 1907-1915About this object
Bound original letter book 1907-1915
The Mangonui County Council was one of 63 established throughout New Zealand by the Counties Act 1876. The first council was formed at the invitation of the Provisional Governor by the roads boards' members who chose to representatives from their own ranks to serve under the chairmanship of Mr Thomas Ball, appointed by the Provincial Governor. The first elected chairman was Robert M Houston, and the council was at first based in Mangonui.
Funded initially by government grants, the council concerned itself mainly with roading and transport issues and formed a close working association with neighbouring councils. Over time the council's responsibilities expanded to include e.g., the inspection of slaughterhouses, the issuing of licenses for gum-digging and ferries, etc., as well as some aspects of public health and social welfare.
In1886 the Whangaroa riding separated off to form the Whangaroa County Council.
Kaitaia township developed rapidly, its population growing at such a rate that in 1918 the council moved its offices to the former library building there, and in 1924 opened its new chambers on the Redan Road corner. The Kaitaia Town Board was established as a dependent unit within the council in 1922, having jurisdiction over a total of 1123 acres centered on the township. Leonard Bell was elected as its first chairman, and Mr Charles McKinnon, County Clerk, as its town clerk and treasurer. Population growth continued steadily, and in 1925 the Town Board became independent of the county council
The council's responsibilities continued to diversify with the passing decades. A close working partnership was maintained with the Kaitaia Town Board and its successor, Kaitaia Borough Council. culminating in the combination of the town and county clerks' positions from 1977.
In November 1989 the council amalgamated with the Kaitaia and Kaikohe borough councils, and the Hokianga, Whangaroa and Bay of Islands county councils to form the Far North District Council.
Local GovernmentNamed Collection
Te Ahu Heritage MuseumObject number
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.