School records [Te Hapua Public School] ; unknown; 1896-1970; 1995.17.1 to .9
School records [Te Hapua Public School]
Registration Book and School Index Book 1896-1969
Registration Book and School Index Book 1896-1925
Original Registration Book and School Index Book 1925-1942
Original Registration Book and School Index Book 1934-1970
Photocopy of Registration Books 1896-1970
Original Committee minutes 1939-1942
Original Log Book 1932-1943
Original Log Book 1943-1954
Photocopy of Te Waka Maori The Journal of the Native School Teachers Association.
After only a short period of operation in the 1870s, the Te Hapua school began as the Parengarenga Native School in 1896, with Mrs Lucy IRVINE from the Hokianga as the first teacher. Soon after, the name was changed to Te Hapua and in 1899 the school moved from the large raupo with mud floor, to a wooden school.
The school continued to function as a Maori school until their abolition in 1969 when it transferred to Education Board control. A booklet was published for the school's 75th anniversary in 1971.
Te Ahu Heritage MuseumObject number
1995.17.1 to .9Copyright Licence
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.