Framed photograph, View of Riverton township from South Riverton; Nicholas Broth...
Framed photograph, View of Riverton township from South RivertonAbout this object
A framed black and white photograph of the Aparima estuary and early Riverton township from South Riverton. A note on the back dates this image to pre-1873, which is in keeping with the absence of the first bridge linking North and South Riverton, which was built c.1874-1875.
Photographs by the Nicholas Brothers date from around 1865-1878. Richard John and James Martyn were two of four brothers who emigrated to New Zealand from England. Richard was the primary driver of the Nicholas Brothers partnership and we know he traded under that name even when his brother James had returned to England for 7 years. They had premises in Riverton in 1874, for about a year. Before that they seem to have been Otago based, but they travelled for work - we know they visited Riverton in 1872 to set up a temporary studio. There was a third Nicholas brother who was also a photographer - Collin, who lived in Milton.
1865-1875Inscription and Marks
Front, handwritten maker's mark: 'Nicholas Bros Photo' , Reverse, black ink marker top left: 'F.P.93.5', top centre: '223', top right: 'View of Township', Reverse, handwritten, top right: 'Pre 1873' , yellow sticker '02/8' , Reverse, handwritten, fountain ink: 'Photo presented to Riverton Museum by Mrs Gas., Mr Bain, Mrs George Perry, Mr J. A. Pack, 25.3.1959'Measurements
h 335 mm x w 390 mm x 39 mmPeriod
organic, processed material, paper
organic, processed material, paper, cardboard
organic, vegetal, wood
inorganic, processed material, glass