Framed photograph, Fairlight Station; Unknown photographer; 1900-1970; RI.FW2021...

Name/Title

Framed photograph, Fairlight Station

About this object

A framed black and white photograph of the homestead at Fairlight Station in Northern Southland.

It is a Category 1 Historic Place (List number 380) and has a strong connection to Western Southland as it was built for Captain John Howell, the pakeha founder of Riverton, after his business interests shifted from maritime to pastoral. Howell named the station Fairlight after his birthplace in Sussex, England. More information can be found online on Heritage New Zealand's List Entry for the Homestead and Station.

A handwritten inscription on the back gives some further information about Fairlight. It was formerly 'Run 352' and owned by William Cameron. Transferred to John Howell on 18 January 1862. Later owners are listed: James H Rodgers, Harold Studholm, Yardley, Dixon Jardine, Livingston and Boyd, Boyd Trustees (1919), J McPherson.

Place Made

Oceania, New Zealand, South Island, Southland, Fairlight

Maker

Unknown photographer

Maker Role

Photographer

Date Made

1900-1970

Inscription and Marks

On the front of the frame glued to the glass: ' "FAIRLIGHT" STATION'. On the reverse of the frame handwritten on a piece of WESA note paper glued to the mount: 'Run.352. FAIRLIGHT, WILLIAM CAMERON, OFFICIAL TRANSFER APPLIED TO JOHN HOWELL 18-1-62, J.HOWELL TO JAS. H.RODGERS. TO HAROLD STUDHOLM. TO YARDLEY. TO DIXON JARDINE. TO LIVIN[G]STON & BOYD. TO BOYD TRUSTEES 1919, J.MCPHERSON'. On the reverse handwritten on the backing board: '95-263'. On the reverse handwritten on a yellow sticker: '96/1'.

Measurements

h 320 mm x w 370 mm x d 30 mm

Object Type

photographs

Subject and Association Keywords

Buildings and Structures

Medium and Materials

organic, processed material, paper
organic, processed material, paper, cardboard
organic, vegetal, wood
inorganic, processed materials, glass

Object number

RI.FW2021.016

Rights

Orphaned work

This object is from
Share