Neon sign from Barton's Butchery; Claude Neon; 1960s; 2004/21/307
Neon sign from Barton's ButcheryAbout this object
Barton’s butchery, on the corner of Manse and Stafford Streets, Dunedin was originally established as Barton and Trengrove in 1914. As a young man Australian-born George Barton was just passing through Dunedin on his way to the United States when he heard opportunity knocking and decided to set up shop here. At the time of George Barton’s death nearly 50 years later, after falling from a ramp at the Burnside sale-yards in 1963, Barton’s butchery was one of the largest in New Zealand. Barton’s continued to be a well-known Dunedin landmark until 1979 when, under pressure from supermarket competition, it closed and the neon signs were removed. Barton’s neon ensemble, installed in the 1950s and 1960s, included lambs, jumping pigs, a cow and the pig in top hat and tails. The well-dressed pig, which resided above the main entrance to the shop, was the last to be installed. It consists of a rectangular, metal sign with a pig painted on it, outlined with red, blue, orange, pink, green and white neon tube lights. The pig is wearing a three-piece suit. The lights flick on and off to give the effect of the pig doffing its top hat. The pig is holding a bag with the initial 'B' (for Barton's).Maker
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.