Piano, John Broadwood & Sons,; 1962.1.2
Piano, John Broadwood & Sons,About this object
This square piano which was a wedding gift to trader Gilbert Mair and his wife Elizabeth Puckey, who were married in Sydney in September 1827. They brought the piano back to the Bay of Islands, New Zealand on board the mission schooner the Herald which arrived off Paihia late evening on 9th October 1827. The piano was manufactured by John Broadwood & Sons of London. The main case is made of mahogany with a satinwood back plate and rosewood cross-banding to the front. It has tapered reed legs with brass castors. It measures 815 x 1680 x 635mm (HWD). It is believed to be New Zealand's first piano. The piano was a bequest from Mrs.E.B.Harrington the grand-daughter of Gilbert and Elizabeth. Copyright
© Waitangi National Trust, copyrights the information and images on this site. All rights reserved
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.