Postcard, The 'Monica'; P. Hudson; 1982; BL.P491
Postcard, The 'Monica'About this object
This is a postcard of the Monica in 1982. Once part of the Bluff oyster fleet, the 'Monica' is now in dry docks beside the museum and is the largest single museum object in Southland. She is rigged as though oystering and can be boarded by museum visitors.
History of the 'Monica':
Built in Auckland as the 'Monica II' in 1909, the 'Monica' was originally a steam engine boat commissioned to work the bays of Banks Peninsula in Canterbury. In the 1930s, Westport fishermen converted her into a fishing boat. Stewart Island Canneries purchased the 'Monica' in 1937 for their oyster fleet. Ten-years later, they removed her steam engine and replaced it with 65b.h.p diesel engines.
In her heyday, locals noted the 'Monica' for her speed as she was always one of the first boats to return with oysters.
Though retired, since 1999 the 'Monica' has continued her life as an exhibition at our museum.
Local personalities who captained the 'Monica':
The 'Monica' has been skippered by a few famous Bluffies during her time, including Arthur Rouse, Mark Joss, Hans Johnson, George Hoffman, Hiipa Te Maiharoa and Rex Ryan.
organic, vegetal, processed materials, paper, cardMeasurements
h 110 mm x w 153 mmSubject and Association Keywords
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.