Telescope and case; Unknown Maker; 1865-1900; BL.B4.71
Telescope and caseAbout this object
This is the telescope from the lighthouse on Motu Piu (Dog Island). The telescope was essential for maintaining contact with the mainland. Signals, composed of flags, would be hoisted from the mast of the onshore signal station at predetermined times, the keeper recording the messages on a slate.
Dog Island Lighthouse:
Built in 1865 approximately 5 kilometers from Bluff, it is the tallest of New Zealand's lighthouses. The original lighthouse had three keepers who lived on the island with their families.
inorganic, processed materials, metals, alloys, copper alloys, brass
inorganic, processed materials, glass
organic, processed materials, animal, skin, mammal skin, cow skin, cow leather
h 475 mm x w 64 mm x d 64 mm
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.