Photograph, the 'Awarua II'; Unknown Photographer; 1940 - 1949; BL.2018.1
Photograph, the 'Awarua II'About this object
This photograph shows the 'Awarua II' billowing smoke as it guides a vessel being towed to the breakers yard. The 'Awarua II' was Bluff's harbour tug for 46 years.
The Awarua II:
The Bluff Harbour Board commissioned Hobnite & Co Ltd of Glasgow to build the Tug Boat Awarua II and she was delivered by Captain F Donovan in November 1932. Builder’s specifications noted that the Awarua II was one of the most power ships in the world and with her two steam reciprocating engine and a 1,200 horsepower, she was the most power ship in New Zealand.
In 1989 she was scuttled in Foveaux Strait as a diving attraction. During this process, one of the Awarua II's engines was saved and is now an operational interactive display at the Bluff Maritime Museum.
1940 - 1949Inscription and Marks
'BL.2018.1' handwritten in pencilPeriod
organic, vegetal, processed material, paper, photographic paperObject number
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.