Williams' Barrel Organ; A Buckingham (active 1821-1828); circa 1828; 1898.156
Williams' Barrel OrganAbout this object
First barrel organ in New Zealand, it was sent as a gift to Archdeacon Henry Williams and his brother William Williams, from their uncle in England, when they were stationed in the Bay of Island, in 1829. The organ includes three barrels with ten hymns on each. In 1898 Henry's grandson, Alfred O Williams together with Wanganui Museum curator Samuel Drew travelled to the Bay of Islands and collected the organ bringing it back to Wanganui, where Drew restored it in time to play hymns for Easter Sunday of that year. More recently this historic organ has again been restored and is now played regularly in the Museum.Maker
circa 1828Place Made
Wood, metal, leatherObject Type
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.