The silk screen print was sent to the Waimate Rewi Alley Aid Committee by Rewi Alley in appreciation for its financial assistance and gifts that it had sent to the Shandan School. The design depicts the activities of the pupils at Rewi Alley's Shandan School in China, and a cavalry design from the Tunghuan Caves. The dyes were made by the pupils at Shandan School.
The Waimate Rewi Alley Aid Committee was established to promote interest and fundraising on Rewi's behalf. It was independent from others in New Zealand sending assistance to the Shandan. The first monetary contribution from Waimate as a community for development of the school's farm projects was sent in early 1949. Requirements such as seeds, drench, dip and farm implements were also sent in later months. Some funds were raised through proceeds from a concert which toured the district.
Members of the original Waimate Rewi Alley Aid Committee were Bernice Shackleton, Ngaire Hewson, R Hayman, S Amies, Janet Studholme, WJ Fletcher, WL Hay, Ross Hayman, Max Hayman and ER Wilson.
In 1950 the Canterbury Museum loaned out a collection of Chinese art including work done at Shandan which was exhibited in the Waimate County Council Chambers
Waimate Advertiser Fri Aug 15, 1980
[Disclaimer: This information was created from historic documentation, and may not necessarily reflect the best available knowledge about the item. Some collection images are created for identification purposes only and may not be of reproduction quality. Some images are not available due to copyright restrictions. If you have information or questions about objects in the collection, please contact via email@example.com.
How to cite this page: 1983-483-001, URL: http://www.nzmuseums.co.nz/account/3188/object/544651, updated 11 July 2015}
89x69cmSubject and Association Keywords
Bernice Shackleton and the Waimate Rewi Alley Aid CommitteeObject Type
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.