Photograph, Original R.M. McKay Store; King, E; 1880-1890; WY.1994.10.6
Photograph, Original R.M. McKay StoreAbout this object
This photograph is of the original R.M. McKay & Co general store building.
About the Building?
Built sometime prior to 1870, it seems that the original purpose for this building was always as a general store. Robert Malcolm McKay and his brother David purchased the building in 1879. In 1904, the McKays built a larger two-storey brick store next to this building which became known as one of the finest stores in Otago and Southland. In 1913, the original building was replaced with a single storey suite of three shops which were let to other businesses.
The McKays operated the local Wyndham general store for 92-years, spanning three generations.
1880-1890Inscription and Marks
Yellow sticker bottom right corner: '305'
Makers Mark stamped on back of mount: 'E. KING PORTRAIT & LANDSCAPE PHOTOGRAPHER COLLINS ST HOBART'
Handwritten on back in black marker: 'WY 94 10'
h 100 mm x w 165 mmPeriod
processed material, organic, vegetal, paper, photographic paper
processed material, organic, vegetal, paper, card
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.