Door, RSA Club Room ; Unknown manufacturer; 1960-1990; WY.0000.1479

Name/Title

Door, RSA Club Room

About this object

This is the door from the second Wyndham Returned Services Association (RSA) Club Rooms. The original club rooms were built in the early 1950s but burned to the ground before the decade ended. This door would come from the building on the corner of Balaclava and Redan St which is now the Evangelical Church.

The Wyndham Branch of the RSA formed in 1930. The Association provided social and financial support for returned service personnel in the Lower Mataura Valley. The monthly branch meetings were held in Wyndham, however, once a year were held at Mokoreta, Glenham and Mataura Island. A women's branch was formed in 1946. Both the men's and women's groups fundraised for the annual national poppy day appeal, and after the Second World War emphasis was placed on raising funds for a memorial to World War Two soldiers.

As a result of falling membership, the Wyndham RSA recessed in the 1990s.

Maker

Unknown manufacturer

Maker Role

Manufacturer

Date Made

1960-1990

Place Made

Unknown

Medium and Materials

organic, processed material, vegetal, wood
inorganic, processed material, glass
inorganic, processed material, metal, steel

Inscription and Marks

Printed on glass: 'RETURNED SERVICES ASSOCIATION'
'WYNDHAM RETURNED SERVICES ASSOCIATION INC'

Measurements

l 1552 mm x w 915 mm x d 57 mm

Subject and Association Keywords

Buildings and Structures

Subject and Association Keywords

Clubs, Groups and Societies

Subject and Association Keywords

Military

Object Type

architectural elements

Object number

WY.0000.1479

Rights

Attribution (cc) Attribution (cc)

This object is from
Tags

Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.

Share