Basin, Wyndham Courthouse; Unknown manufacturer; 1913; WY.1994.64
Basin, Wyndham CourthouseAbout this object
This ceramic corner hand basin came from the Wyndham Courthouse which was once located on Redan Street next to the Post Office.
One of the Town Board's first actions in 1882 was to consult with Hon Dr Menzies about securing a courthouse for Wyndham. However it wasn't until 1886 that the old school building in Scutari Street was renovated into a courthouse. Prior to this it was necessary to travel to Invercargill or Mataura to attend court.
Fire destroyed the Scutari Street courthouse in 1906, along with all the court records. A new courthouse was built next to the Post Office and Telephone Exchange in 1913. It is unknown where court sat between buildings. The magistrate stopped sitting in Wyndham in 1953 and the court closed. The building was used by the Agricultural Department for 20 years after this. After this, the building sat empty until the Public Health Nurse used it as an office.
In 1979 the courthouse on Redan Street was demolished to make way for a new Post Office residence which did not eventuate.
inorganic, processed material, ceramic
inorganic, processed material, metal, copper
h 540 mm x w 600 mm x d 480 mmSubject and Association Keywords
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.