Photograph, Old Blacksmith Building Redan Street; Unknown photographer; 1945-195...
Photograph, Old Blacksmith Building Redan StreetAbout this object
This photograph is of the old blacksmith shop in Redan Street, Wyndham. It depicts the building at a stage prior to the roof collapsing as is seen in another photograph in our collection (WY.0000.101).
The shop was known as Allison's Blacksmith.
William Allison came to Wyndham in 1878 and was employed by W.H. Matheson, Blacksmith, and subsequently R.A. Elliot. During his time there Mr Allison made the ironwork for the first railway bridge over the Mataura River at Menzies Ferry.
In 1882 William Allison bought a business from Alex Dickson and built a wooden smithy on the northern side of Redan Street, Wyndham. In 1919 he handed his business over to his sons, William the farrier and Joseph the coach-body builder. After a time William withdrew because of ill health and Joseph continued until about 1938 when Spencer Peacock took over.
Eventually, sometime in the 1950s Des Forde, Engineer, replaced this building with a new workshop.
1940sMedium and Materials
organic, processed material, vegetal, paper, photographic paperInscription and Marks
Front lower right, yellow sticker:
Reverse, lower right in pencil:
h 63 mm x w 88 mmSubject and Association Keywords
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.