Photograph, Mataura Island Hall; Unknown photographer; 1980-1990; WY.0000.1435
Photograph, Mataura Island HallAbout this object
This is a photograph of the Mataura Island Hall.
The first public hall at Mataura Island was built on the school grounds in the area of the present school buildings. It had a play shed for the children built on the side. For lighting there were kerosene lamps hung on pulleys from the ceiling, and social functions such as concerts and dances, were usually held at the time of a full moon so that everyone could find their way home on their horse and transport.
In those early days there was other means of entertainment such as the draughts and the combined School and Hall committee held roller skating in the hall. This was very successful and the money raised was enough to pay off the hall, buy a new piano and supply the skates.
When the Education Board had public buildings moved from the school grounds, Mr Kirkland bought the building as a storeroom for his store.
1980sMedium and Materials
organic, processed material, vegetal, paper, photographic paper
organic, processed material, vegetal, paper, card
Centre in pencil on reverse: 'Mataura Island'
Lower right corner on reverse: 'WY.0000.1435'
h 88 mm x w 127 mmSubject and Association Keywords
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.