Photograph, Wyndham Telephone Exchange 1949; Unknown; 1949; WY.1989.374.1

Name/Title

Photograph, Wyndham Telephone Exchange 1949

About this object

This is a photograph of the Wyndham Telephone exchange, which was first installed in 1900 with 8 subscribers. This number had risen to 162 by 1924, with a waiting list of 29. The capacity was increased from 103 to 200 lines and two operators were required. Opening hours were gradually increased to 7am to 10pm, and 5pm to 6pm on Sundays. In 1926 hours were extended from 6 am to midnight. A new telephone exchange was opened in 1983. Single rather than party lines were laid underground and the old exchange boards were moved, one being given to the Wyndham Museum and the other to the Southland Museum.

Place Made

Oceania, New Zealand, South Island, Southland, Wyndham

Maker

Unknown

Maker Role

Photographer

Date Made

1949

Inscription and Marks

Photo: In ink handwritten
'Wyndham 1949'
'Exchange'
'situated opp the bosses'
'office, main building'
Upper right 'WY 89 374'
Lower centre 'Betty Geary'
On lower left in pencil 'WY.1989.374.1'

Measurements

h 620 mm x w 90 mm

Period

1940s

Object Type

photographs

Subject and Association Keywords

Communication (including Diaries and Letters)

Medium and Materials

organic, processed material, vegetal, paper, photographic paper

Object number

WY.1989.374.1

Rights

Orphaned work

This object is from
Tags

Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.

Share