Photograph, Wyndham Aerial 1955; Whites Aviation; 1955?; WY.0000.849

Name/Title

Photograph, Wyndham Aerial 1955

About this object

The coloured aerial photograph of Wyndham was is believed to have been taken by Whites Aviation in 1955. Whites took a large amount of aviation photos that year, and a lot of photographs Wyndham and the surrounding area are available on the New Zealand National Library website. In 1951 some school buildings were burnt down. These buildings are not in this photograph indicating that it was taken after this evident. They occupied the Florence & Alma St corner of the section. The site of that building is shown here as the bare concrete remains.The school buildings shown here are the rebuild.The three on the left remain as of 2020 as the science labs, and the two on the extreme right end also remain at this point in time. The central part of the school seen here was burnt out in the 1994 fire.

The section with the house now owned by Piries, but previously owned by Gearys and Henry Heath on Ferry St is bare. The house was built in 1956, thus indicating the photograph was taken between 1951 and 1956.

In the foreground is the site of a former lignite pit on Sect 30 on Redan Street. The Town & Country Club was built on a sub-divided block of the lignite pit section. The pit itself as seen in the picture became the town dump and slowly filled in until the dump closed. It is now a private section and separate from the Town & Country Club which was build on land not dug out.

Place Made

Oceania, New Zealand, South Island, Southland, Wyndham

Maker

Whites Aviation

Maker Role

Photographer

Date Made

1955?

Period

1950s

Medium and Materials

organic, processed material, vegetal, paper, photographic paper
organic, processsed material, vegetal, paper, card

Inscription and Marks

On reverse: Upper left written in pencil 'Mrs Peacock'
In blue pencil a circle drawn with '45' in the centre.
Lower right in pencil: 'WY.0000.849'

Measurements

h 405 mm x w 485 mm

Subject and Association Keywords

Landscapes

Object Type

photographs

Object number

WY.0000.849

Copyright Licence  

Public Domain - No rights reserved - no known copyright restrictions No rights reserved - no known copyright restrictions

The Project Ark Team 22 Apr 2020 02:50 AM,UTC

Hey Rodney,
Thanks for your comment. We have updated the date, the photographer and added your info into the public description. We really appreciate your local knowledge! The Project Ark Team

Rodney Leitch 21 Apr 2020 07:39 AM,UTC

Pretty sure this picture is from 1955. Whites took a heap of aviation photos that year. A lot of Wyndham and around about online on the National Library. Also the School buildings that burnt down in 1951, aren't in this picture. They occupied the Florence & Alma St corner of the section. The site of that building is shown here as the bare concrete remains. The school buildings shown here are the rebuild. The three on the left still there as the science labs, the two on the extreme right end still there, and the middle part being what was burnt out in the 1994 fire.
The section with the house now owned by Piries, but previously by Gearys and Henry Heath on Ferry St is bare. The house was built in 1956 as dad said it was the first house he worked on when apprenticed with Digger. All this makes me think it was a 1955 picture, though I stand to be corrected.

The Town & Country club was built on a sub-divided block of the lignite pit section. The pit itself as seen in the picture became the town dump and slowly filled in till dump closed. Is now a private section and separate from the T &C which was build on land not dug out.

This object is from
Tags
1950s
Landscapes

Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.

Share