Postcard, Post Office Wyndham; Universal Company, Dunedin; 1910-1920; WY.0000.12...
Postcard, Post Office WyndhamAbout this object
This postcard shows the Wyndham post office which was built in 1910 and closed in 1989.
In March 1869, before the Wyndham township existed, Angus McKay was appointed postmaster. Mr Preston was appointed in March 1870 and in May 1870, Andrew Murray, the Mimihau schoolmaster, was appointed to the role. The Post Office was transferred from the Mimihau schoolhouse to Peter Fletcher's store in Wyndham around 1871. In 1910 a new post office and postmaster's residence was built by Adam Speden from Gore. It remained in use until 1989 when, under government restructuring, it was closed and replaced by a postal agency in Bullings' store, back where it had been more than a century before.
organic, processed material, vegetal, paper, cardMeasurements
h 139 mm x w 89 mmSubject and Association Keywords
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.