Book Stand, Wooden Edendale Catholic Church of Our Lady of Lourdes; Unknown manu...

Name/Title

Book Stand, Wooden Edendale Catholic Church of Our Lady of Lourdes

About this object

This book stand came from the Edendale Catholic Church Our Lady of Lourdes.

Our Lady of Lourdes:

In 1927, Wyndham became a separate parish from Edendale, however, it is likely that the first mass at Edendale took place long before then. Rev. Father R. Graham became the first resident parish priest, and for a time mass was held in the public hall. Eleven years later, the Edendale Catholic Church dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes opened on February 6 1938.

By the 1980s, Edendale had a dwindling Catholic population and with the advance in transportation, it was concluded that parishioners could travel the 6kms to St Kevin's Catholic Church in Wyndham. On the afternoon of Friday October 28 1988, around seventy people gathered at the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes on Ferry Road for the last mass.

St Kevin's Catholic Church was sold into private hands in 2017. At the time, only one parnisher remained, Erene McElhinney of Edendale.

Maker

Unknown manufacturer

Maker Role

Manufacturer

Date Made

Unknown

Place Made

Unknown

Medium and Materials

organic, processed material, vegetal, wood, rimu

Measurements

h 235 mm x w 420 mm x d 230 mm

Subject and Association Keywords

Religion and Belief

Object Type

furniture accessories

Object number

WY.1989.390.3

Copyright Licence  

Attribution (cc) Attribution (cc)

This object is from
Tags

Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.

Share