Photograph, Wyndham A & P Show 1928; Clayton; 1928; WY.0000.741
Photograph, Wyndham A & P Show 1928About this object
This panoramic photograph of the 1928 Wyndham A & P Show is a great record of the times. It shows a good number of cars parked in the foreground and further afield, with Wyndham houses in the background. Of note are the well dressed gentlemen and ladies - many in their cloche hats. Parading in the centre are draught horses, horses and gigs, with other horses in and around the stalls to the right. Some of the tents are hosting sideshows.
The show was originally held in the south of Wyndham but subsequently shifted to the racecourse. In 1926 after Mr Osborne (the grocer) sold his 5 acre horse paddock to the A & P Society for £350, the Show shifted back. On this new site, the Society constructed the pavilion, sheep pens, loose boxes and stalls from milled timber from the pine trees bordering part of the property. Two thousand people attended on 7 December 1928 to see the grounds and the Show opened by Mr T. Golden from the Southland County Council.
Prizes in the early days were interesting: in 1882 the prize for the Best Contractor's 3 horse team was a silver watch valued at £7 pounds 10 shillings, and 2 guineas given for the best pair of Carriage Horses. The four in hand Carriage Horse competition was a great attraction especially with Mr Peter Campbell's black horses. Dr Rogers was well-known in the dog cart races and children participated in bare-back riding on their ponies.
Produce and baking sections were always popular. In 1885 show classes included powdered butter, old cheese, homemade bread, and oatcakes made with water. Respective prizes were an oak pail, a vat valued at 10/-, and a lady's trimmed hat. Presentation of the prizes was held at varying functions, including Smoke Concerts after Annual meetings. From1928 ladies were invited to the Socials, Banquets, Old Time Balls, Invitation Balls and Cabarets.
Some Interesting Facts:
Special excursion trains were put on for the Show days running from Invercargill and Glenham and stopping at the Showground's entrance. This was the main transport for both people and animals.
In 1914, the Society donated £50 to buy 2 Troop horses for the Army.
The 1918 Show was abandoned because of the influenza breakout.
In 1986, the Pipe Band performance was postponed by a swarm of bees!
In 2003, Wyndham hosted the first Royal Show to be held in the Southern Districts, and the Topp Twins provided entertainment.
Over the years the A & P Society has provided a wonderful and enjoyable day out for town and country folk alike, a great family occasion which provided wonderful memories for all.
1928Inscription and Marks
Front, lower left in black ink: 'WYNDHAM 1925'
' 'CLAYTON No 1' '
Second photograph lower centre in black ink : ' 'CLAYTON' 2'
Third photograph lower centre in black ink: ' 'CLAYTON' 3'
Fourth photograph lower centre in white ink: '
Reverse, centre handwritten in ink, 'This Photo is the property
of John Gairn Stewart
21 Ferry St
h 135 mm x w 638 mmPeriod
organic, processed material, vegetal, paper, photographic paper
organic, processed material, vegetal, paper, card
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.