Mail bag; XOPO.69
Mail bagAbout this object
Mail bag; a heavy canvas bag with a zip fastening at the top and a metal ring fixed by a leather strap with rivets at each side of the zip. Written in black free hand on the front face is 'Blacks / School,' and in stencil 'OPHIR / TO / OMAKAU'. The words TO OMAKAU are blacked out. Inside the bag are hundreds of small lead pieces with string attached. These were bag tie seals fixed by the central post office which were snipped off when the mailbag arrived at its destination, as a device to show that the bag had not been tampered with. A smaller canvas bag or pocket with two large rivets at the top corner is also enclosed within the bag.
Possibly original to site.
Blacks (short for Black diggings) was the early name for Ophir and refers to the discovery of gold at Ophir in 1863 on land grazed by Charles F. Black. Omakau is a neighbouring town to Ophir that grew mainly due to the fact that the Central Otago railway line was constructed nearby (the railway reached Omakau in 1904). The two towns were connected by the Daniel O'Connell Bridge.
For more information about Ophir Post Office, which is cared for by the New Zealand Historic Places Trust Pouhere Taonga, visit our website.
Large bag: 50 x 33cm
Small bag: 26.5 x 17cm
Collection of Ophir Post Office, New Zealand Historic Places Trust Pouhere TaongaObject Type
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.