Photograph album page; XOPO.32
Photograph album pageAbout this object
Photograph album page; made from a rectangular piece of card, with a fold at the left edge which would have been attached to the album spine. On the front side is a rectangular, landscape-oriented black and white photograph of Ophir main street. The Post Office is visible to the right of the photograph. The photograph dates to the mid 20th century. On the reverse of the album page are three smaller family photographs. At the top left is a black and white landscape-oriented photograph of two toddlers seated outside on chairs, holding toys, with a bicycle behind leaning against a stucco wall. Below this is a landscape, black and white photograph showing a young woman wearing a long white dress, standing in a field, with willow trees in the background. To the right of these photographs is a portrait-oriented photograph of a young man wearing a white shirt with a large colour, and a black waistcoat. The shadow of the photographer falls across the subject. The photograph is taken outside, and hollyhocks are visible to the left of the subject. All three photographs on this page date circa 1930-1950.
Ophir, formerly known as 'Blacks' or 'Blackton', was a thriving gold mining town established in the 1860s. In the early years, when the population was around 1,000, Ophir is said to have competed with Clyde for the headquarters of the Vincent County Council. The town stagnated after being by-passed by the railway in the early 20th century. However, this led to the survival of a number of structures, including the Ophir Post Office.
For more information about Ophir Post Office, which is cared for by the New Zealand Historic Places Trust Pouhere Taonga, visit our website.
13.2 x 19.3cmObject Type
Collection of Ophir Post Office, New Zealand Historic Places Trust Pouhere TaongaObject number
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.