Bottle, A.E. Kemp ; Alfred Edwin Kemp; 1911; GO.1980.B1G
Bottle, A.E. KempAbout this object
The A. E. Kemp embossed on this bottle refers to Alfred Edwin Kemp a chemist who emigrated from England in the 1870s. In 1884 he started a cordial factory at River Street in Gore which he continued to operate until his death in 1926.
This bottle, with its characteristic marble stopper, is typical of the Hiram Codd design, patented in England in 1872. The marble or 'globe' located in the neck of the bottle was held against a rubber seal above it, the pressure of the content created the seal. Many of the bottles were never returned and reused because children would break the bottles to get the marble. Kemp also sold his cordial in ceramic crocks.
inorganic, processed material, glassInscription and Marks
Embossed on front of bottle: 'THE PROPERTY OF' in upper banner. Below this an elephant flanked on either side with a stylised tree. The words 'TRADE MARK' are on the elephant and below 'REGISTERED A.E. KEMP'. On the rear at the heel are the words (slightly arched) 'KILNER BROS LTD LONDON'. On the base the date '1911'.Measurements
h 230 mm x w 70 mm x d 30 mm
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.