Silver beaker; c. 1854; 94/286/1
Silver beakerAbout this object
A beaker belonging ot the Monrad family ornately inscribed with family members names. Inside there is also an incised ornate floral cartouche and a bay leaf wreath.
c. 1854Place Made
SilverInscription and Marks
On one side is inscribed "Otto Sommer Monrad 1 August" and The other side is inscribed, Viggo Monrad 27 November 1865". The hallmark on the cup is for Michelsen, a well-known Copenhagen jeweller, founded in 1841. The castle and number 54 underneath signify it was made of pure silver in 1854. The second round mark, RH, are the initials of silversmith, Peter R. Hinnerup, who worked for Michelsen 1840-63.
105 mm high x 80 mm diameterSubject and Association Description
" Mrs Ivy Christensen, the widow of the last Danish speaking pastor of St Lukes Lutheran Church in Palmerston North remembers the cup standing on or about the altar from as early as 1923, but never in use. Her husband brought it home with other altar items, perhaps in 1940 when the memorial altar was erected. Mrs Christensen gifted the donor the cup in March 1987 after the old church was demolished.
The Donor suggested the cup was given to Bishop Monrad's father, Otto, for his 75th birthday (he was born on 1 August, 1780). The cup was then inscribed and presented to Bishop Monrad's son, Viggo, on his wedding day to Olga, perhaps in memory of his recently deceased grandfather and immediately before they left Denmark. Viggo may have then donated this cup for communion use to the first Lutheran church in Palmerston North he helped build in 1882."
Collection of Te Manawa Museums TrustCredit Line
Donated by Mrs Bodil PetersenObject Type
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.