Y542 steam locomotive; 1985.67

Name/Title

Y542 steam locomotive

About this object

Y 542 was one of three 0-6-0T locomotives built for the Public Works Department in 1923 by the Hunslet Engine Company, Leeds. This engine was used on the North Island Main Trunk railway construction projects between Napier-Gisborne, and Stratford-Okahukura. The locomotives were then acquired by the New Zealand Government Railways and handed over to the Way & Works Branch for construction purposes, then later they were used by the Mechanical Branch at locomotive depots (Auckland and Frankton) as shunting engines. They were occasionally hired out to companies with extensive rail sidings when their own locomotives were under repair. Y 542 was sold to Wilsons (NZ) Portland Cement Company in August 1957, she became their No.3 of a fleet of 11 steam locomotives, and as one of the company's most powerful locomotives was used on their extensive railway at Portland near Whangarei on the new quarry incline run.

Object Type

Steam locomotive

Object number

1985.67

Copyright Licence  

All rights reserved

Share