Mangawhai Post Office 1958.; 18-179
Mangawhai Post Office 1958.About this object
Photo taken 1958.
The Post Office service was opened in Mangawai, 4th June 1860, in Edward Insley's boarding house and store. Post Office's were attached to several stores over the decades. This building was built in 1928 after the previous Post Office was burnt down.
The first telephone was lodged at the Post Office in Mangawai in September 1882.
The Automatic Telephone Exchange was opened in February 1965 at the Post Office, Mangawhai Village.
Note: the spelling of Mangawhai changed in 1951 to include the 'h'.